A long day indeed. An enjoyable day doing things I haven’t done for a very long time. Pune to Sangli and back in state transport buses (ST for those familiar with Maharashtra), a day of speaking mostly Marathi, of surviving on vada pav and cutting chai.
I have never been to this stretch before. Miles on miles of sugarcane fields, some still standing green and many lying harvested. Cane juice being sold everywhere.
My colleague Nipesh and me were on a mission to visit a pathbreaking project in the Sangli Kupwad Miraj municipal area where slums have been mapped using google maps, surveyed with the help of slum volunteers, GIS maps created rich with info and then a slum free city plan created. The ultimate idea is to relocate and merge slums onto municipal lands in new, well designed four storey apartments of 270 square feet each. We visited two sites where construction was underway. The best part is that Pune-based NGO Shelter Associates has achieved this through untiring community and stakeholder engagement and managed to work with the government too, an uphill task indeed. More on our conversations with Pratima Joshi and her inspiring volunteers later. For now, as we ride back to Pune with the cool winds laden with rain blowing on our faces, we take in the green fields, the clean air and the local dialects and sights with delight. A satisfying day indeed.
- Castles in the air: Delhi govt, don’t put slumdwellers in highrises without consulting them!
- Govt, please don’t squander the last opportunity to redeem our city. Sincerely, A Dilliwali
- The little girl with the artist’s eye!
- Mountain: A challenge, an aspiration, an achievement!
- Thoughts on Mothers Day
What I blog aboutAnecdotes children cities Community Culture Democracy design Education Emotional governance Gurgaon Heritage Housing identity Livelihood Migration personal development politics Public spaces Safety Social attitudes Sustainability and climate change Technology Transport travel Uncategorized Urban poverty Urban stress Women's empowerment Youth
- 40,789 hits
Notable Newbie @ blogadda
Proud to be an Indiblogger!
I blog @ Blog Adda
Featured blogger @ WeBlogTheWorld
- who all are registered to go to the Tehelka Thinkfest #think2013? just got on that bandwagon! 2 days ago
- govt, don't redevelop central Delhi without asking citizens, floating dsgn comp @MaGopalan @shamit @Maneckk ramblinginthecity.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/gov… 2 days ago
- Govt, pls use the big opportunity to redevelop central Delhi to do the right thing. consult citizens! #Delhi @Vidyut @AyonaDatta @rcrc2012 2 days ago
- pls consult citizens us or else you will destroy our city! A plea from a Dilliwali to the powers that be...#Delhi ramblinginthecity.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/gov… 2 days ago
- pls do not relocate slum dwellers in 17-story high-rises! our article in The Hindu @microHS thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/… 2 days ago